Saturday, April 2, 2011

THIS IS WHAT A CONSISTENT DAD DOES - Issue 1 Volume 5

April 1, 2011                                                               
What a Dad Does

“It is for discipline that you endure; God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom his father does not discipline? But if you are without discipline, of which all have become partakers, then you are illegitimate children and not sons. Furthermore, we had earthly fathers to discipline us, and we respected them; shall we not much rather be subject to the Father of spirits, and live?”   Hebrews 12:7-9 NASB

Am I taking the lead in disciplining my children?  Am I being consistent in discipline?  Am I expecting my wife to do the serious disciplining?  Have I worked out a plan with my wife?  Do I back her up with the children?  Are we disciplining consistently with the Bible’s guidance and the love of God on the subject?  Am I letting them get away with things?

When I discipline do I take the time to help them understand what they’ve done, grieve over their sin, administer the discipline, pray with them and then affirm my love for them?  Conducting discipline in this way takes time and patience.  Remember, discipline is not punishment….one seeks the welfare of the person…the other seeks revenge or destruction.  God, sharpen my senses to be CONSISTENT IN and LOVING when disciplining them.

When you boil it all down you only have to discipline for three things: Disobedience, Dishonesty and Disrespect.  Remember, God disciplines you and requires you to do the same with those under your authority - with His heart!

THIS IS WHAT A CONSISTENT DAD DOES!

No comments:

Post a Comment