Wednesday, June 8, 2011

WHAT A PERCEPTIVE DAD DOES! - Volume 1 Issue 7



“Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it.”  Proverbs 22:6 NASB

Wow, how am I supposed to know the WAY each one of them should go?  Jesus said in John 14:6 that He is the WAY, the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father except through Him.  Am I showing each one of my children JESUS (the Way) through my lifestyle (thoughts, words, actions and attitudes).  Or am I being a phony before them?  If so, today is the day to repent (Hebrews 3:12-14).

Have I done anything to discover each of their “bent”, interests, gifts, strengths, love language, temperament type or callings?  Am I just trying to raise them all the same way…”everyone is equal and gets the same treatment”?  In so doing am I training him/her “in the way he should go”.  Or, am I just trying to keep my head above water?  Could this be a reason that so many children raised in Christian homes depart from the faith?   According to one study greater than 80% of “Christian” kids leave the faith when they go to college. 

Notice our verse says, even when he is old he will not depart”. It doesn’t say that when he is old he will return to the faith…we can and should pray for our children if they are grown and have departed from the faith (II Tim 2:24-26).  However, if they are still at home, I must make some adjustments and begin to train them in the way each one should go.  Jesus is the common denominator but each one of them is completely unique and in all eternity there will never be another person like him or her.

God really does want me to discover His way for each one of my children and with my wife I must develop a customized training plan for each.  Lord, help to me to have ears to hear you. 

WHAT A PERCEPTIVE DAD DOES!

No comments:

Post a Comment