Wednesday, January 29, 2014

WHAT A WHOLEHEARTED DAD DOES! – VOLUME IV ISSUE 2


“Oh that they had such a heart in them, that they would fear Me and keep all My commandments always, that it may be well with them and with their sons forever!” Deuteronomy 5:29 NASB
You want the well being of your children, right? I know you do.

This promise from the Lord is one of my favorites. But what kind of heart is He talking about? And what does it really mean to fear God? I already know there is no way to keep all His commandments because I’ve broken most of them. Initially these thoughts leave me in a hopeless state.

As I have studied the ancient kings of Israel and Judah over the years I have discovered that none of the kings of Israel and most of the kings of Judah did not have a “whole heart” towards God. Only three did: David, Hezekiah and Josiah. There was something in common about these three men that stands above the rest. They obviously weren’t perfect, so what was it? Tracking their paths from I Samuel through II Chronicles, we see this common conviction: they tore down all the idols. Are you willing to tear down all your idols? Do you even know if there are some?

Beyond that, what does it mean to fear God? We know that “the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom…” (Proverbs 9:10) Some say that it means to reverence God. But is that it? I think it’s much more than that because Jesus states it very strongly when he says, "Don't be afraid of those who want to kill your body; they cannot touch your soul. Fear only God, who can destroy both soul and body in hell." (Matthew 10:28) And Paul says to work toward complete holiness because we fear God. (2 Corinthians 7:1)

William D. Eisenhower puts it this way in his article 'Fearing God" in Christianity Today:
Unfortunately, many of us presume that the world is the ultimate threat and that God's function is to offset it. How different this is from the biblical position that God is far scarier than the world. When we assume that the world is the ultimate threat, we give it unwarranted power, for in truth, the world's threats are temporary. When we expect God to balance the stress of the world, we reduce him to the world's equal. As I walk with the Lord, I discover that God poses an ominous threat to my ego, but not to me. He rescues me from my delusions, so he may reveal the truth that sets me free. He casts me down, only to lift me up again. He sits in judgment of my sin, but forgives me nevertheless. Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, but love from the Lord is its completion.

Beyond the mystery of fearing God, if God knew we weren’t going to be able to keep “all His commandments” how could this promise mean anything to me? Obviously this can only be true of me if I am in Christ – because He kept all the commandments perfectly. (Romans 5:19)

So what if I reside in Christ, tear down the idols and fear God (to the best of my understanding) and it is not well with one or more of my children? Am I going to believe what I see or what God says is true? This is where faith comes in: “Now faith means putting our full confidence in the things we hope for, it means being certain of things we cannot see. It was this kind of faith that won their reputation for the saints of old. And it is after all only by faith that our minds accept as fact that the whole scheme of time and space was created by God’s command—that the world which we can see has come into being through principles which are invisible.” Hebrews 11:1-3 JBP
Let’s believe God when He says, “Oh that they had such a heart as this always, to fear me and to keep all my commandments, that it might go well with them and with their descendants forever!” ESV

I really like that “forever” part, don’t you? And not just my children but also my descendants forever!

THIS IS WHAT A WHOLEHEARTED DAD DOES!

No comments:

Post a Comment