Monday, August 29, 2011

WHAT AN INCREDIBLE DAD DOES - Volume 1 Issue 9

What a Dad Does

It’s been a month and a half since I last sent the last installment….that’s because my Dad was in the hospital all during that time and on August 17th just after midnight he went on to be with the Lord.  He was surrounded by grandchildren and my sis as he drew his last breath.  Over the past two months we made numerous trips to Oklahoma City and several of us took turns spending the night at the hospital with Dad.  Also, I kept up my crazy travel schedule.  However, I was able to be at home the last week of his life and the first week after his promotion. 

Those final days were sweet and tender as our whole family reminisced and had numerous times of calling upon the Lord.  Over the past few days I began reading Jim Cymbala’s, Fresh Wind Fresh Fire.  In it he talks about how the people of God were first described in the Bible….before Abraham’s offspring, before followers of Moses, before Israelites, before Jews, before people of the way, before Christians….His people were called “those who called upon the Lord” (Gen 4:25).  That was who my Dad became…”one who called upon the Lord”.  He joined my Mom and prayed each of his children and grandchildren into the fold.  I was encouraged to tears over the last several months as I saw him take time each morning at 10 am to sit down with Mom and pray for our family, the church and our country.  

I had the privilege of speaking at his funeral along with all my brothers and sister.  Many of his grandchildren sang or sent encouraging words to be read at his memorial service.  If you’d like, you can watch the service at www.ustream.tv/channel/cdracars . (Look down at the bottom left for the link and you can skip the first 20 minutes or so).   It was a tremendous time of remembering Dad and giving praise to our God.  The sanctuary, overflow room and the hallway were full…I knew he was a super dad but hadn’t really realized how he had impacted so many others. I was blessed and humbled.  

I’ve not been able to grieve much over his death.  I’m not only grateful that he is no longer suffering but I have realized that I had his blessing and love.  Something I know that most of us long for….we want and need our father’s approval and blessing.  Many people never receive that but I believe that this is why I’ve not been sad at his passing.  I don’t have that hole in my heart.  It wasn’t always so, we didn’t have much of a relationship during the first half of my life.  But the last 30 years have been very tender and precious.  Dad would kiss me on the cheek and tell me how proud he was of me and my family.  He did that with each of us and would brag to others about all his kids. 

As you consider these words think about your relationship to your children.  Do they think of you as “one who calls upon the Lord” or one who “pulled himself up by his own bootstraps”?  Have you been modeling this prayer posture before them?  Do they have your blessing?  Do they know it?  When is the last time you kissed them and told them how proud you are of them?  If you do these things you will leave your children a great heritage…better than any financial inheritance…..I know because I have received one. 

THIS IS WHAT AN INCREDIBLE DAD DOES!

No comments:

Post a Comment